27 November 2023
Exploring the History of the Jewish Deaf Community
The first home for deaf Jews was founded in 1863. Originally in Whitechapel, it moved to Bloomsbury in 1866, Brunswick square in 1870, Notting Hill in 1875, and eventually to Nightingale Lane, Wandsworth in 1899, where in the 1930s it became known as the Residential School for Deaf Children. The school closed in 1965.
This small display presents some of the items connected to the history of the ‘Jews Deaf and Dumb home’.
Please visit the Jewish Deaf Association Website for details of events and access.